Friday 17 June 2011

Aachen (Dom + Kultur) part 1


As some of you may know last month I went to Aachen, Germany on a work placement in the Cathedral as a compulsory part of my Masters Degree. I really enjoyed myself and I learnt lots of things; not all of them directly related to Cultural Heritage. Now that I've been home for two weeks it’s about time I wrote my experiences up in the form of an essay which critically reviews the placement and what I learned. 

The trouble is, it is tedious! 

Like really boring!

Like I've started writing a blog to avoid writing about it. I've also been working on a detailed paper model of the Cathedral (see below). 


When I've been running in the opposite direction from the essay writing I've been trying to work out what the blocks are to writing up the experience. I kept a diary the whole time, so I already have 3,000 odd words to say on the experience. And it wasn't as if everything from the people, to the weather and the workplace weren't beautiful.
It’s not even as if there’s nothing to say about Cultural Heritage, it was everywhere.
The problem is finding interesting things to say, about the things they want to hear, and (the problem for this essay in particular) in a structured format.

As time has passed I've managed to get some ideas down on paper but its taken an entire bar of emergency chocolate, a bacon sandwich, three cups of coffee and several trips to London to get me this far! I wonder how many more trips to my favourite independent coffee shop (Utopia) I’ll need before I eventually hand the work in? Just as well the deadlines totally flexible!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment