Tuesday 26 July 2011

Engaging the Public

Over the last few weeks my work has included doing a survey with the general public. I don't know how many of you out there have ever been tasked with approaching the public, and trying to persuade them to answer your questions, but it can be quite a daunting prospect.

In order to manage the nerves I've developed a number of ways to approach strangers. Here are my top 5...and yes the doodles are an accurate representation of the demographic I've been speaking to...

1. Straight out bribery/ Incentivise


2. If that fails, try distraction, 'Oh look shiny thing!' - *steals brainwaves!*

3. Use any situation and bring it round to your questions...yes even if you are waiting for a bus...


4. Do the blonde stupid thing.


5. And if all else fails just be honest! I found this to be the best policy and people genuinely wanted to help me.


If you've ever done any market research what tricks did you try to get the public involved? What worked? What didn't?

I'll be back to my usual format next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment