Friday 29 March 2013

Tanzverbot: No dancing, its Friday

Welcome to Good Friday everyone!

 Today is an opportunity to celebrate; at base you've probably had the day off work and Spring is just about springing (through the clouds and the cold). Those of you with religious convictions might be celebrating your freedom and the salvation of Christ. Whether you fit either or neither of these welcome to a truly Good Friday.

Did you know that in most German states it is illegal to dance today? Yeah, you heard me right. It is illegal to dance; because Good Friday is a sober occasion and one for reflection. In previous centuries Germany was joined by most of Europe in this observation; and whilst some Irish pubs shut for the night, they're on their own in the main, on this one.

I think that times for reflection and seasons are good. I think its interesting that most German states also observe the ban on Memorial Day as part of their contemplation on the tragedy of war and conflict. Sometimes we can get so caught up in our own busy lives we can forget to be grateful, or remember that the way we spend our money and time, that our lifestyles have an impact on the world around us.

As for me I went out last night, until it was a fair way into this morning and I feel no guilt about it. Whatever your reasons for marking the day I feel like you should be able to do that freely. When I am happy and grateful I dance, for joy giving it all I've got - with the sincerest of reverence. I will also be up on Sunday morning to see the sun rise.

Space should be made for people to think and to pray.

But space should also be made for people to dance; for joy, in gratitude, to forgive or forget, to let go.

Welcome to Good Friday.

(Maundy Thursday Zumba session. Photo Credit: Steve Ground Coy, Attitude Credit: 3 wonderful women <3 )

















No comments:

Post a Comment