Friday 6 January 2017

Mallorca: Looking for Katy T

It is no secret that I have developed quite a love on Mallorca; in my head it is the land of perpetual sunshine - my friend who lives there saw so little rain that as a 3 year old when drops of water fell from the sky he thought the sky was falling down!

Having spent a month in Manchester - infamous for rain - I took a long weekend away. It is like cheating on Autumn, rewinding to spend an extra weekend in Summer. I left the house in a scarf and coat and arrived in Palma sleeveless at 11pm!

Sierra Tramuntana

We had a superb weekend exploring the Sierra Tramuntana in my friends very old family car. Coughing up the hills and threatening to give up on every turn. We visited the picturesque village of Valldemossa that was home to St Catherine Thomas - affectionately known by me as Katy T. We ate Ensaimadas in the sunshine and took photos of gnarly old olive trees. We even drove to Soller for icecreams at the port.

Ensaimadas

En route to dinner with friends we happened upon a parade. And you'll never guess who it was for? Yup, Katy T. Mallorcans love a parade, although this one was far more sedate than the festival of Sant Joan which features beasts running at you with fire-spears and the such! At a friend's house I discovered the joys of Jungle Speed although my reactions were a bit slow by 2 am when we ambled home.

Ice cream at Soller

We spent the next day gently, a nap by the sea; and just like that it was time to wave dear friend goodbye and return to Manchester, which is starting to feel like home.


Beaches are for napping

No comments:

Post a Comment