Monday 3 October 2011

Luke Leighfield and Jose Vanders: Live at The Borderline


The astute amongst you will notice that I haven’t got any better at blogging weekly. I am really sorry. All I can say is that London is full of lots of bright lights and I am easily distracted...oh look shiny thing! One of the wonderful distractions of the big smoke is gig venues. Last Tuesday I went to The Borderline to watch Luke Leighfield and Jose Vanders; here’s what I thought.

I first saw Jose play at Jesus College May Ball in Summer 2008. My feet had been really hurting from wearing stupidly high heels for an all-night party; and come midnight I was resting my feet in the bar. In the bar a petite singer with a much larger voice was playing her original tunes about waiting at railway stations and going to the fair with a boy she loved. The combination of beautiful melody and silly lyrics about ordinary events reminded me of the songs my best friend Lizzie used to write when we were teenagers. Although the most memorable part of Jose's gig was her begging for a pint before the end of her set, I enjoyed it enough to buy her EP (Transactional Language) several days later.

So three years later she offered her fans cheap tickets to see her at a London venue, on a day I could do and I was there! The Borderline is a basement venue in Soho that is well suited to bands with few performers (the stage is quite small) and for intimate gigs (I reckon there were 150 -200 of us there). Playing a small venue was actually really beneficial for the audience as we could see all the facial expressions and the little details Leighfield and Vanders throw in. It provided quite a different atmosphere to other gigs that I've attended.

I actually went to this gig on my own but it really wasn’t a problem. They’re a nice crowd at The Borderline and Vanders’ voice quickly picks you up and wheels you away far beyond the venue. She played a great set with a combination of the old greats, ‘Puppets’ and ‘Faces Going Places’; the latter, where she played piano and provided the ‘clap’ percussion simultaneously, being very impressive. She also played the playlist from her Blue Notes EP and ‘Man on Wire’. It was really interesting to see how Vanders’ music has developed; she still writes about break ups, romance and other frivolity, but she’s also developing a more mature edge to her lyrics which deal with big issues; I liked that. The poetic language is still there too, ‘I’m like the sun without the shine, a long road without any signs’ (Me Without a You) and you know how I enjoy unusual similes! (cf my post on Mornings in Jenin). She also owned the night really well; the personal touch of understanding the context of her lyrics gave them a new depth of meaning.

Jose was the reason I went to the gig but she was well complemented by both Luke Leighfield and Marcel Legan. Jose and Luke have just released a split EP which is the basis for their tour. I’ll admit I had not researched either of the other artists before I went; but Luke’s music was really uplifting. He played the set preceding Jose’s which I caught almost by accident. He sounds a bit like Get Cape Wear Cape Fly crossed with the Rend Collective (make up your own mind here) both in his love for brass to complement more traditional instruments and big chorus lines; all used to address everything from romance to loneliness, hope and despair.

I bought Luke's latest album and the EP of Marcel Legan. On the night Marcel provided backing vocals and guitar for both artists but he is also an artist in his own right. I bought his EP because his vocal on the other artists’ tracks (such as Metal Detector) was sensational. His voice sent shivers down my spine; and I was unsurprised to find that several of my friends, of both genders, had serious crushes on him; that voice is magic! Real Gone reviewed his EP and said ‘those great moments only really present themselves after two or three listens’. I agree that the EP is not ‘instant gratification’ but as it has played on my MP3 this last week it has grown exponentially on me.

All three artists write about lying in bed, amongst other things, anyone would think they were students (!). They also do a good line in quirky videos (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBDsoQH9kM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUhT1sDvJs for reference). Their coming together for the split EP has definitely been good for the UK music scene. If you remain unconvinced can I encourage you to check out their cover of Bon Iver, Blindsided. It is hauntingly beautiful, and has a gorgeous backdrop of London at night; a very fitting tribute to another great band. Jose and Luke are currently touring Europe with their split EP but you can still check ‘em out online!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCN5yxFI7wc

No comments:

Post a Comment